Our Nursery Chefs are dedicated to providing nutritionally balanced meals for children and are integral to the nursery team.
As a LEYF Nursery Chef, you are responsible for running the kitchen, preparing tasty and nutritious meals for children and staff, as well as helping to educate children, parents and staff on healthy eating.
Nursery Chefs actively participate in LEYF’s pioneering Chef Academy – a CACHE Level 3 endorsed award. The course is free for LEYF chefs. Those who have completed their training become a LEYF Qualified Chef and receive a £1,000 increase in their salary (based on a 40-hour week and compared to an unqualified chef).
- A positive attitude! Excited to work in a nursery preparing healthy and delicious food for children and running food-related activities with them.
- Food Hygiene level 2 or equivalent, or be willing to do the course in the first week of work (paid for by LEYF)
- Good hygiene practices
- Ability to assess all stages of the food preparation process in accordance with HACCP
- Knowledge of allergies and children’s dietary requirements
- Working effectively as part of a team
- Work within the budget and keep neat and accurate records of purchases and money spent
- Experience of preparing/cooking food in a childcare setting is desirable but not essential
About the nursery
Children’s Garden Nursery and Pre-School provides Early Years education and care to children from birth to 5 years old. You can find us on campus at the University of East London (UEL), but we are open to all. We are close to several DLR stations.
The children enjoy science experiments, cooking, gardening, construction, messy play with sand and water and more.