Our Nursery Chefs are dedicated to providing nutritionally balanced meals for children and are integral to the nursery team.
As a LEYF Nursery Chef, you are responsible for running the kitchen, preparing tasty and nutritious meals for children and staff, as well as helping to educate children, parents and staff on healthy eating.
Nursery Chefs actively participate in LEYF’s pioneering Chef Academy – a CACHE Level 3 endorsed award. The course is free for LEYF chefs. Those who have completed their training become a LEYF Qualified Chef and receive a £1,000 increase in their salary (based on a 40-hour week and compared to an unqualified chef).
- A positive attitude! Excited to work in a nursery preparing healthy and delicious food for children and running food-related activities with them.
- Food Hygiene level 2 or equivalent, or be willing to do the course in the first week of work (paid for by LEYF)
- Good hygiene practices
- Ability to assess all stages of the food preparation process in accordance with HACCP
- Knowledge of allergies and children’s dietary requirements
- Working effectively as part of a team
- Work within the budget and keep neat and accurate records of purchases and money spent
- Experience of preparing/cooking food in a childcare setting is desirable but not essential
The London Early Years Foundation (LEYF) is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Background checks and an enhanced DBS will be required.
About the nursery
Rated Good by Ofsted, Leys Nursery and Pre-School provides Early Years education and care to children from birth to 5 years old.
You can find us in Dagenham, not far from Dagenham East underground station and close to The Leys park. We’re a bright, modern nursery, with rooms for different age groups and a surrounding garden.
Our children can choose the activities they enjoy every day, from sensory play with ice and water to small world play with dinosaurs, languages, construction, obstacle courses and much more!
We are based inside a children’s centre, where parents have access to groups to attend and be signposted to services to support their family.